‘Tis the season for festive cups at Starbucks filled with fun holiday drinks and lots of people head there every day to get one. But some of the coffee chain’s seasonal drinks have more sugar than you probably realize - we’re talking as much as three cans of Coke and as many calories as a burger. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with indulging in sweet coffees or cocoas every once in a while, moderation is key and if you’re trying to watch your weight or cut back on your sugar intake, you may want to know what you’re actually getting in that cute Christmas cup.
Current guidelines from theAmerican Heart Associationadvise women consume no more than six teaspoons (25 grams) of added sugars a day, nine teaspoons (36 grams) for men. All Starbucks drinks can be customized, so you can make them healthier, but this is how some of their most popular seasonal drinks made in the standard way stack up nutritionally for a Grande (16-ounce) size,from least to most calories.
- Eggnog Crème Frappuccino: 370 cals, 48g sugar, 16g fat, 8g protein
- Caramel Apple Spice: 380 cals, 71g sugar, 8g fat, 1g protein
- Toasted White Chocolate Mocha: 420 cals, 56g sugar, 15g fat, 15g protein
- Salted Caramel Mocha Crème Frappuccino: 420 cals, 58g sugar, 6g protein
- Peppermint Mocha: 440 cals, 54g sugar, 15g fat, 13g protein
- Eggnog Latte: 450 cals, 52g sugar, 18g fat, 17g protein
- Iced Salted Caramel Mocha: 450 cals, 55g sugar, 18g fat, 9g protein
- Caramel Brûlée Latte: 450 cals, 47g sugar, 13g fat, 13g protein
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate: 470 cals, 61g sugar, 16g fat, 13g protein
- Iced Peppermint White Chocolate Mocha: 490 cals, 68g sugar, 19g fat, 10g protein
- Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate: 490 cals, 65g sugar, 17g fat, 13g protein
- Eggnog Crème: 500 cals, 59g sugar, 20g fat, 19g protein
- Peppermint White Hot Chocolate: 520 cals, 74g sugar, 19g fat, 15g protein